Karin's Life in America

Monday, April 24, 2006

Amelia's First Birthday

On the 15th of March, one day before we left Germany, we celebrated Amelia's 1st birthday. It is unbelievable that she is already a year old. And while she was fairly easy as a baby she has definitely started to be challenging as a toddler. As soon as a door is open to the outside she heads for it. We (Marlene, my mother and myself) celebrated her birthday with Karin and her daughter Charlotte, Joerg (her godfather) and Eva, and my aunt Christel. She did not get one of my special cakes, that has to wait for next year. I made the "Tupperware Cake" which turned out great. But since this was nothing for a baby, I got her a "Berliner" at the bakery. The lady was so nice to pick the biggest, perfectly round one. We put a candle in it and Amelia actually ate most off it. Unwrapping presents was fun, too. Different than at the baptism, Amelia realized it was all about herself. That was a little difficult for Marlene, who had to make sure her sister unwrapped all the presents correctly.