Karin's Life in America

Wednesday, September 08, 2010

The garden pays off

As you might expect my garden has started producing. We had a ton of raspberries which I made into jam. By now the second harvest of raspberries has come around. This is a bit earlier than other years where the second harvest has happened very late and only produced moldy and sour fruit. Right now we are having some humongous raspberries.
I have been harvesting a lot of zucchini and squash. It has been fun to try out different recipes for zucchini muffins, cookies and bread. I even found a good recipe for "Vanishing zucchini casserole" that is being eaten by my family. We have been having beans if they are not eaten by slugs and I dug up a lot of potatoes. The tomatoes grew into huge plants this year and have a lot of green fruit, but we are still waiting for them to turn red; and I hope we are not running out of time. I have been drying herbs for winter storage and used the hot days to do it in the car. Nothing like free energy.
On the tree side it has been meager so far. The cherry tree only had a few pieces of fruit that got eaten by birds. The peach tree had one beautiful big peach. But before we picked it the squirrels had gotten to it and pulled it off the tree. The apples, pears and quince are still in the ripening process. So I will keep you updated on those.