Karin's Life in America

Friday, July 02, 2010

Karin's Garden continued

I have mentioned in a previous blog that I have been working on my garden a lot this spring. In fall I had converted some grass areas into more beds. It has been a while since I have been writing and I have to say the garden has been doing well. After a warm start into the spring it has been relatively cold and wet. My potatoes are ready for harvest. We had a ton of salad. The brussel sprouts did not work at all and I will have to try in the colder season. We did not have many raspberries this year since last summer was so hot and dry that we did not get many new shoots. But the tomatoes are doing great. They are full and green and have a ton of flowers. I hope for an actual crop this year.
We are trying the "three sisters" in a pot. The beans and squash seem to do fine, but the corn is still behind. I ended up with a lot of zucchini plants since we are having a zucchini growing contest at church. With 4 plants I am starting to be scared. We will see. The pear tree is doing great this year, so is the apple tree, but we only seem to have one or two quince this year. The peach tree is producing its first fruit (only one) and we had one cherry that escaped the birds. The beans were difficult since they got eaten by the slugs faster than I could plant them. I finally had to start them inside and later replant. We will see how that goes. It has been fun to see some of this stuff grow. The brussel sprouts were impressive. Then I had for the first time sweet peas with purple flowers and my neighbor gave me onions that set fruit on the top at the flower. This looks amazing.
I will give a full report later in fall.