Karin's Life in America

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Butter and Cheese

Two weeks ago, Jen and I took a "home cheese making" class. I have been wanting to take this class for a long time, but I was always too late signing up. The class is always full and the teacher, who used to live in Seattle, but now resides in Wisconsin, only comes to Seattle twice a year to hold the class. We learnt about milk and what to look for. Linda gave us each some Piima, a Scandinavian cultured cream. This is a good base for more cream and from that we made butter. I have been making butter at home now twice, and every time my family devours it. We saved the buttermilk and used it to make feta cheese. At home I just have been drinking it; what a pleasure to drink real buttermilk. I have to face the fact, that I am a serious food snob.
We learnt how to make Mozzarella. It is fun and easy and the kids have been helping me to make it. All you need is milk, lemon juice, some rennet and a thermometer. From the whey we made ricotta, which is very simple, as well. Now I just have to find applications for all these things.
In addition, during the class we talked about kefir, yogurt and how to make hard cheeses. when the heat of summer is over I will try to make Gouda and Cheddar. I can not wait!