Karin's Life in America

Friday, November 02, 2007

Halloween Season

Jason insists that Halloween is just a day, but I disagree, it is a season. We started decorating the house the beginning of October. Most of you know, that I have more Halloween stuff than Christmas decorations. We do the decorating in stages, so that he does not get too aggravated. Amelia practiced riding on a broom stick just in case. Like last year, we got a picture taken of the girls in their costumes. They both decided to be fairies this year. I chose to stay out of the picture, because, somehow I think, I am out of the age range for fairies. What is a grown up fairy anyway? a witch? I think the line is a very grey zone.
Like several years in the past, last Friday we went to the Pumpkin Prowl at the zoo. It is just so beautiful to see the hundreds of carved pumpkins all lit up. We got some great ideas for our own carvings. On Saturday I went to Nicola's Halloween Party which is an other fix point of this season.
On Halloween itself, we had our own Halloween Open House for friends. I can not believe it was the third time we did this. During the preparations I always ask myself, why I get so deep into it, but everything worked out fine, thanks of the help of my friend Julie. There was a nice spread of food and drinks for children and adults. Cheers to Halloween!
P.S. In the evening Marlene went Trick-or-Treating for the first time (in other years she always was too scared). This year was a great success because she went with the neighbor girls Sarah and Kaitlin, and we ended up with more candy than we started out with. (I made Marlene take most of it to the collection station for the food bank).